25 August 2007

Unnecessary Details

In today's Dinette Set, the artist challenges the reader to spot all of the details which add absolutely nothing to the panel:
  • Verla's entire dialog balloon, and half of Dale's.
  • The poster board labeled "Large Print Monopoly Game".
  • Timmy's head peeking out from behind Joy.
  • The stack of 45s on the table.
  • The gargantuan family portrait occupying the entire background.
  • The painting of the balloon on the wall.
  • The light switch.
  • A lamp with down arrows as decoration.
  • Burl's T-shirt, unless we assume the artist does not understand what a "toadie" is.

3 comments:

Michael Foley said...

Is Joy doing that Michael Jackson "leaning" dance move? Now moonwalk out of the living room, Joy! Heee-heeee!

Anonymous said...

As has been pointed out, Julie is fond of "tell, don't show." Was it really necessary to say "...cut into Dale's birthday cake already?!" We can plainly see him cutting into the cake. Wouldn't this have been funnier with "Hey, what are you doing, Burl" - "I was bored"? Oh well...

boo said...

I know, I know. I'm a little late to the party. I just found you, though, and so far I am in love! I just noticed your eyes are not seeing the same thing as mine in this one.
1) Stack of 45's? I see paper cake plates.
2) Painting of a balloon? I see a balloon thumb-tacked to the wall holding the sign up.
3) Lamp with arrows decortation? I don't think their arrows... I think they are supposed to be "grain lines" or some other such nonsense.

All in all - LOVE YOU!