04 May 2007

Carbon Copy Coffee

In today's Dinette Set, Burl and Joy purchase coffee, causing the reader to wonder:
  • Am I supposed to believe for a second that Burl and Joy buy their coffee for $4 at an artsy coffee shop?
  • Is the artist afraid to write "Jew's Harp" for fear of being called anti-semitic?
  • Does the artist not realize that the College Hill Coffee logo looks completely out of place being a semi photo-realistic style amidst crude line drawings?
Update: h/t to pinball for finding the logo which was copied in making this panel.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you know, if done by a different artist, this cartoon would almost be funny. I mean, I'd run away from a band with an electric Kazoo.
By the way, a Kazoo and a Jew's Harp are not the same thing. Either would be hard to electrify though, but at least you could put pickups on a Jew's Harp. If you want a PC term for a JH, you can call it a mouth harp or a lamellophone. :-)

Also, there appears to be a real "College Hill Coffee Company" in Cincinnati but a quick Google search does not reveal if she traced their logo like she did with the lion statue. Yay for royalty-(un)free clip art.

Anonymous said...

I found the MySpace page for the real College Hill Coffee, and sure enough, that's their logo. She appears to have just printed it out and drawn the cartoon around it... hope she knows these people.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=91560609

I've heard enough people call it a juice harp that I think she probably doesn't actually realize that's not originally the name of it.

Anonymous said...

The fact that I can only look at a DS for so long before my eyes start to bleed caused me to miss Burl's shirt with the Juice Harp reference. I apologize for the impromptu lecture :) ... The Wikipedia lists "juice harp" as one of its names, so I guess some people use that.

Anonymous said...

I think millard and pinball have way too much time on their hands!!!I love this cartoon--she hits the "nail on the head" with these very real life people---every town has them --some have way too many!