31 August 2006

Long day's journey into night

See it here.

What I find most interesting about this panel is that Joy is "too tired to even pick a movie."

I imagine that Burl and Joy suddenly realized that bedtime was approaching and they had no movie with which to ease their passage to sleep. They face the prospect of being forced into an alternate activity, such as conversation (reinforced by The Conversation movie on the shelf), reading (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest), or worse (Being There's signature phrase "I like to watch").

And so they embark on a frantic search for a video rental store long after most stores have closed. The trek takes them as far south as Kentucky before they finally find a store which is still open. By now Joy is barely awake, but Burl is adamant that he will not return home without a movie.

And who can blame him?

Sleep-induced marginalia:
  • I hate to say this, but the movie shelves contain movies I actually like, such as the three mentioned above and Bull Durham. Please tell me that doesn't mean I share common taste with Burl and Joy.
  • Do you figure the person in the back is just coming out from behind the curtain which segregates the adult section from the rest of the titles?
  • The perspective in this panel is really strange. It's hard to tell where the shelves are relative to the people or each other.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Thank you for writing regarding content posted on
http://dinettesetdeconstruction.blogspot.com. We would like to confirm
that we have received and reviewed your inquiry dated 09/01/06.' Google

As author/creator and owner of all rights to The Dinette Set, I plan on pursuing compensation for use of your use of my cartoon, The Dinette Set on a daily basis on your Dinette Set Deconstruction blog . This includes the daily posted cartoon as well as the access yo all the archives posted for repeasted viewing every day. My cartoons can only be reproduced with my permission as well as Creators Syndicate with compensation per cartoon per use.
I will also pursue avenues which pertain to content and purpose of your blog. Marketing and Sales are costly ventures as well as the ownership, production and legal representaion required.
I have contacted a lawyer to review your use of my cartoon's name on your blog and the daily critique of my property, The Dinette Set. My syndicate is now involved as well.
You can either remove it immediately or wait until I move further on this matter.
Julie Larson
Creator of The Dinette Set
julars1@thedinetteset.com

Anonymous said...

Aw, the talentless hack doesn't like it when someone points out her tripe's shortcomings? How sad. Apparently she spells about as well as she draws and writes.