13 July 2007

A Mighty Wind

Today's Dinette Set needs help, so in deference to Nikki, I am going to try to be nice today and help out with some suggested alternate dialog to replace this rather wordy version:
  • Random neighbor: "Our table and umbrella are broken. Did you see what happened?"
  • Burl: "Nope."
I think that about covers it...though that still leaves us with the problem of deciphering what is going on.

I mean, I suppose we're meant to assume Burl and Joy broke the man's table and umbrella. Or that the wind broke the Penny's umbrella while sparing the man's umbrella and they swapped while the man was out.

But, I'll be damned if I can find a single shred of visual or textual evidence for either of those theories.

Unless we count Burl's rather strange lie, saying the umbrella shot off when it is in plain view. But had he broken or stolen the man's umbrella, Burl would know the umbrella was sitting in plain view, so that can't possibly justify either of those interpretations.

Leaving us with only one remaining conclusion: the dialog is meant to be taken literally and we have, yet again, peered in on one of the single most boring and pointless conversations ever published in comic form.

Which, I suppose, is not a very nice thing to say.

Sorry, Nikki, I tried.

Update: regular commenters pinball and millard suggest an alternate vaguely plausible explanation. That said, there is as little evidence to support that reading as those I posited. T-shirt text notwithstanding, the rather oddly prominent hedge on the neighbor's side of the fence would seem to be a barrier to quick action on their part, if the idea of Burl climbing a fence were not implausible enough. At any rate, as both commenters might agree, additional vaguely possible explanations for this panel only further the original point about clarity, though I admit my suggested dialog would need to be amended to have Burl say "Yep" instead.

7 comments:

Eric said...

It was a pretty poetic interchange. I mean, usually speakers in the Dinette set are terse - today we get a full on, multi-clausal complex sentence from each of our speakers.

Usually, I'm happy there's nothing misspelled. Because, you know, Burl and friends are the kinds of people who would use the wrong version of 'your' on a regular basis.

Also - to carry on the conversation from Nikki yesterday: we all have to know, are you in any way related to the artist?

Anonymous said...

Wait... that's not what I thought it meant at all. The idea that they broke it themselves or stole it because theirs was broken didn't occur to me... I assumed we were just supposed to think that they really sat there and watched it break instead of acting like normal/vaguely helpful people and going over there and putting it down.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Pinball on that - hence the umpteenth repeat of the "staring is caring" shirt and the "crimestoppers" shirt. They stared and didn't stop the "crime". A good neighbor (Sam?) would have prevented the damage by walking a few feet and closing the umbrella.

Anonymous said...

Davy. I am sorry if I have made you uncomfortable in expressing yourself in regards to "The Dinette Set". I enjoy reading your comments along with all your faithful readers and please continue to be yourself! I want everyone to know I am not related to Julie (or even know her) as I said before, I am from a small midwestern town which is "home" to many, many people like the Penny's and their friends!!!! In fact I could give Julie many helpful suggestions on topics for her cartoon!!!!! I will try and refrain from posting --- was not nice of me, but will still enjoy your "Blather 'Bout Burl"

DaveyK said...

Nikki -

I didn't take offense and today's reference to you wasn't meant to be taking shots at you. I did it lovingly.

I enjoy having you as a commenter and reader.

Eric said...

It's true, Nikki, we do love you here - you're what's keeping us from sinking into a funk of negativity.

Back to the panel: the problem is with the obvious contradiction between Burl's "shot off like a rocket" and the umbrella just sitting there. Clearly something funky is going on here.

Anonymous said...

You know what??? You guys are all so neat and so great---I am so glad I stumbled upon this site and found you all---even though I give you a hard time!!!!
Davey, you make my day!!!!where were you today? Wanted to make a comment on Joy's Tee shirt!!!!!